Wild Mountain’s land is held in trust by Land in Common community land trust.
Land in Common, founded in 2008, removes land from speculative markets and places it into a member-run trust, to be cared for over the long-term by residents. Taking inspiration and insight from the Indian gramdan (land gift) movement, the Brazilian Landless Worker’s Movement (MST), and the community land trust movement, Land in Common’s goal is to create a multi-generational land base for sustainable livelihoods that supports communities working for just, cooperative, and resilient futures.
We are committed to upholding the inspiring values of Land in Common:
- We believe that land is a vital source of life and sustenance. It is not a commodity.
- We believe that land access and security should not be tied to economic wealth.
- We believe that a home is a fundamental right of all living beings.
- We are committed to justice and anti-oppression in all of our work.
- We are committed to bold experimentation and to learning with humility.
- We are committed to cooperation, collaboration, mutual-aid, and direct democracy.
- We value the true wealth of sufficiency and “enoughness.”
- We honor the importance of spirituality, mindfulness, love, and joy.
- We are committed for the long haul, in the service of future generations.
- We strive to enact these values in the culture and structure of our organization.